These simple honey-roasted harissa carrots are delicious with any main meal, or add to your salads for extra ‘oomph’!
These flavors are AMAZING, whether served as a side dish to your main meal, with salad or, as I discovered by chance, on toasted sourdough bread.
Carrots provide plenty of fiber, which is essential for gut health – which in turn is essential for mental as well as physical well-being.
In short: Eat your veg!
- 500 grams carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 ½- 2 teaspoons harissa spice (find it in stores with Middle Eastern selection – inexpensive and amazing taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Salt, to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley to garnish
- 2-3 tablespoons of feta cheese, crumbled
- Set oven at 210 degrees Celsius
- Peel and cut carrots, then place in an oven proof dish
- In a small bowl, mix honey, brown sugar, harissa and cumin – give it a whirl in the microwave if too solid
- Sprinkle over the carrots and toss so that the honey-spice mix is evenly distributed
- Sprinkle salt over the carrots
- Bake in oven for about 20 minutes, stir 1-2 times along the way to make sure honey-spice mix is evenly covered and the carrots are evenly baked
- Remove from oven, then turn on grill function at 250 degrees Celsius
- Return carrots to oven and bake for another 7-10 minutes to get the bbq touch
To serve: Sprinkle parsley and feta cheese on top of the roasted carrots.
Other recipes and posts you might like:
The surprising link between your microbiome and mood Did you know there is a close connection between your gut microbiome and your mood? It turns out that the secrets to your emotional well-being may well lie within your microbiome. The microbiome refers to the trillions of microorganisms that live in and on your body, including…
Examining the benefit of probiotics for acne Acne is a common skin condition that affects many. In fact, ~650 million people worldwide are estimated to suffer from acne. Having battled acne and rosacea most of my adult life, I’m all too familiar with the constant search for treatments that actually work. As a medical microbiologist,…
Your questions answered about the human skin microbiome Welcome to our health blog where we dive deep into the fascinating world of the human skin microbiome! Have you ever pondered why your skin behaves the way it does? Or perhaps you’re curious about the role of the skin microbiome in conditions like acne, eczema, or…
Right away in the west of Ireland lies a tiny hamlet called Kraighten. It is situated, alone, at the base of a low hill.
Gut healthy blueberry kefir smoothie with banana
Discover 9 of the best kefir brands Plus the benefit of kefir milk We’ve enjoyed the benefit of kefir milk for centuries. But kefir’s recent rise to fame is likely linked to our growing interest in gut health. Because we now know that gut health is essential for both physical and mental well-being. If you…