Use this tasty treat as a topping on salads, youghurt or cereals
Honey-roasted nuts with warming spices
Are nuts good for gut health? Yes!
Nuts and seeds are a great source of gut-friendly fiber.
These roasted nuts are delicious used as topping on salads, yogurt or cereals.
This recipe can be varied according to your taste, with different nuts and spices.
If you are not a fan of chili, never fear, this recipe will taste equally great without.
- 350-400 grams mix of nuts and seeds – we used equal measures hazelnuts coarsely chopped, sunflower seeds and blanched almonds
- To blanch almonds: boil water, add almonds, leave for a few minutes and then easily slip the skin off
- 1-2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1-2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla essence
- 1-2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½-1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of sugar (brown if you have)
- Sprinkle of chili powder
- Warm oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- In an oven proof dish, place the nuts and seeds (you can also use baking paper on a baking tray and place nuts/seeds on top)
- Sprinkle cinnamon, salt, sugar and (if you like) chilli on top
- In a small bowl, stir honey coconut oil and vanilla essence – heat a few seconds in the microwave or in small pot to blend if needed
- Pour over the nut/seed mix and blend well to make sure it is evenly spread
- Place in oven for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally
For extra crunch: Remove dish/tray from oven, increase heat to 220 degrees Celsius and then bake for another 5 minutes
Let cool down before adding to jar for storage – that is, if they don’t disappear within the first few minutes! 😍