Your gut healthy smoothies, sorted!
Gut healthy blueberry kefir smoothie with banana
This blueberry kefir smoothie with banana is packed with gut healthy goodness. It will practically make your gut microbes do the happy dance. So if you’re looking for a kefir smoothie for gut health, you’ve come to the right place!
The probiotic benefit of kefir milk is amazing, and we will dive into the details below. And the humble blueberry is basically an antiinflammatory powerhouse, packed with antioxidants and polyphenols. Combine that with the prebiotic benefits of banana, and you’ve got yourself an epic gut healthy smoothie!
In short: kefir combined with antiinflammatory blueberries and gut healthy fiber from bananas, makes blueberry kefir smoothie a perfect breakfast idea.
2.5 dl (1 cup) kefir
2.5 dl (1 cup) almond milk
100 g frozen blueberries
1 ripe banana
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional: Add sweetener if you want a sweeter version, but do NOT add honey because it affects the kefir. Scroll down to find out why.
Place all the ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth. Taste to see if you want a little sweeter taste, as bananas vary a lot in sweetness depending on how ripe they are.
You can replace almond milk with regular dairy milk, or any plant based milk of choice – the taste will vary slightly. Regardless, this gut healthy blueberry kefir smoothie will give your gut microbes a boost!
The benefit of kefir milk
Drinking kefir milk regularly can help improve digestion, boost immune function, reduce inflammation and boost brain health and mood.
And this blueberry kefir smoothie is a tasty way to achieve just that!
A fan of gut healthy smoothies?
If you enjoy the blueberry kefir smoothie, try this super-tasty strawberry kefir milk smoothie as well (link to Instagram).
You may also like this article on the benefit of kefir milk:
DISCOVER THE BENEFIT OF KEFIR MILK plus 9 top kefir brands.
More benefits of probiotic smoothies
- Nutrient-rich. Bananas are a great source of potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin B6. Blueberries, in turn, are packed with antioxidants, fiber, and vitamin K. If you combine these fruits with kefir it adds protein, calcium, and additional vitamins and minerals to the smoothie. In sum, making blueberry kefir smoothie a must on your smoothie rotation list.
- Immunity: The probiotics found in kefir smoothies can help strengthen the immune system by promoting the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut. A healthy gut microbiome is essential for optimal immune function and may help reduce the risk of infections and illnesses.
- Energy boost. Bananas are a natural source of carbohydrates and sugars, providing a quick energy boost. Combined with the nutrients and probiotics in kefir, a kefir smoothie can be a satisfying and energizing snack or meal replacement.
- Bone health. Kefir contains calcium, which is important for bone health. Consequently, drinking kefir regularly, especially in combination with vitamin K from blueberries, can support strong bones and prevent osteoporosis.
- Probiotic-rich. The fact that kefir contains probiotics, or friendly bacteria, also means this is a food that can boost your mood and help you feel your best. So, drinking blueberry kefir smoothie is like inviting the cool kids to the party, and who doesn’t want that? Nobody, that’s who 🙂
Summary: Blueberry kefir smoothie
Overall, a kefir smoothie with banana and blueberries can be a delicious and nutritious addition to your diet.
It’s a quick and easy way to enjoy the benefit of probiotics, providing a range of health benefits for both your gut and overall well-being.
PS: Why NOT honey in your blueberry kefir smoothie?
Adding honey to your blueberry kefir smoothie is generally not recommended. Kefir and smoothie are unfortunately not best friends, because honey can have antibacterial properties that could interfere with the fermentation process of kefir. While eating honey has multiple health benefits, it is best to not use it to sweeten your smoothie.
Other posts and gut healthy recipes you might enjoy:
Probiotics for Better Sleep
Are you curious about the benefit of probiotics and their potential impact on sleep?
We have tested these probiotics for sleep – because they’re backed by evidence.
The surprising link between your microbiome and mood Did you know there is a close connection between your gut microbiome and your mood? It turns out that the secrets to your emotional well-being may well lie within your microbiome. The microbiome refers to the trillions of microorganisms that live in and on your body, including…
Your questions answered about the human skin microbiome Welcome to our health blog where we dive deep into the fascinating world of the human skin microbiome! Have you ever pondered why your skin behaves the way it does? Or perhaps you’re curious about the role of the skin microbiome in conditions like acne, eczema, or…
Right away in the west of Ireland lies a tiny hamlet called Kraighten. It is situated, alone, at the base of a low hill.
Gut healthy blueberry kefir smoothie with banana
Discover 9 of the best kefir brands Plus the benefit of kefir milk We’ve enjoyed the benefit of kefir milk for centuries. But kefir’s recent rise to fame is likely linked to our growing interest in gut health. Because we now know that gut health is essential for both physical and mental well-being. If you…
What a skin microbiome test kit revealed about my best skincare routine Following years of trial and error to find the best skincare routine for my acne and rosacea-prone skin, I was so happy to discover that a skin microbiome test kit could unlock the secrets of my skin, and potentially my best skincare routine.…
Probiotics for sleep: 3 tried-and-tested probiotics for better sleep Are you curious about probiotics and their impact on sleep? I know I was! Because research suggests that the trillions of microbes in our gut – called the gut microbiome – can influence sleep patterns and sleep quality, as well as general health. As a result,…