This healthy chili con carne is packed with herbs and vegetables to keep your gut microbes happy
Healthy chili con carne
Make a big batch so you can put leftovers in the freezer for busy days ahead.
With ingredients that are good for gut health, such as pulses herbs and tomatoes, this is a perfect staple in a gut healthy diet.
- 4x packs 400 grams minced meat
- 2 cans chick peas, 400 grams
- 1 can kidney beans, 400 grams
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 4 long red peppers, finely chopped
- 2 small jars tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon Herbes de Provence
- 2-3 teaspoons oregano
- 6 cans chopped tomatoes, 400 grams each
- 3 tablespoons veggie stock (or cubes)
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar
- 200 grams bacon
- Olive oil
- Salt, pepper to season
- Fresh basil to serve, optional
- Sautee onions in oil
- Add red pepper and cook until soft
- Add tomato puree plus herbs and stir
- Add the meat and cook until it’s crumbled and slightly browned
- Add tomatoes, veggie stock and sugar and let simmer
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon until golden
- Add bacon to the pot and let simmer for about 20-25 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper
This one pot wonder freezes really well.
I always make extra for busy days ahead.
But my family loves it so much that leftovers are not guaranteed!
Other recipes and posts you might like:
The surprising link between your microbiome and mood Did you know there is a close connection between your gut microbiome and your mood? It turns out that the secrets to your emotional well-being may well lie within your microbiome. The microbiome refers to the trillions of microorganisms that live in and on your body, including…
Right away in the west of Ireland lies a tiny hamlet called Kraighten. It is situated, alone, at the base of a low hill.
Gut healthy blueberry kefir smoothie with banana
Discover the benefit of kefir milk Plus 9 top kefir brands We’ve enjoyed the benefit of kefir milk for centuries. But kefir’s recent rise to fame is likely linked to our growing interest in gut health. Because we now know that gut health is essential for both physical and mental well-being. If you don’t want…
What a skin microbiome test kit revealed about my best skincare routine Following years of trial and error to find the best skincare routine for my acne and rosacea-prone skin, I was so happy to discover that a skin microbiome test kit could unlock the secrets of my skin, and potentially my best skincare routine.…
Probiotics for sleep: 3 tried-and-tested probiotics for better sleep Are you curious about probiotics and their impact on sleep? I know I was! Because research suggests that the trillions of microbes in our gut – called the gut microbiome – can influence sleep patterns and sleep quality, as well as general health. As a result,…
Did you know that what you eat can boost your mood? Check out which foods to choose for a happier you.
How to choose a probiotic for sleep. Discover how to choose the best probiotic for sleep, to help solve your sleep problems